Starting with version 2.0.0, Lumiya can show the Second Life world around you in 3D. However, it has some limitations, so please read the details below to see if it suits you.
Performance, as of version 2.3.0:
- On modern phones and tablets with CPU frequencies in 1GHz range, it will give you around 10-20 FPS in quiet locations. Initial world generation takes a few seconds, and texture download may take longer.
- On older generation phones with CPU frequencies in 300 MHz range, it will give you around 1-3 FPS at best, and initial world generation takes tens of seconds. It may still be useful to give you a brief idea of your surroundings.
- Performance and memory requirements largely depend on draw distance. If you experience Out of Memory errors, reducing draw distance will help a lot.
- At busy locations with lot of avatars around, the framerate will inevitably drop.
- Sky and water are not textured. Terrain is optionally textured.
- Textures are heavily downsampled to comply with Android memory usage limitations.
- Particle systems, local lighting and other fancy features are not supported.
- 3D world view by itself is fairly stable; however, occasional crashes may happen - please report them so I could fix them. Thanks!
- It can work with plain old OpenGL-ES 1.0 without VBO support, but the performance will suffer a lot. Modern phones usually have VBO support, and Lumiya will use it when it is available.
- The native code parts are compiled for ARM and x86 processors. If you have an Android device with other CPU and would like to see it available for your device, please let me know.